Technical Electives Guidelines
Students must take 9-14 technical elective units (depending on the degree program and catalog year). These courses should be technical in nature.
For IE and MFGE Students:
Technical electives must meet EAC-ABET requirements.
- For co-op TE credit, please see the Internship/CoOp page. You may not receive credit for an internship or co-op you have already completed; you MUST acquire approval beforehand.
- IME 400 and 500 require a substitution form and a Special Problems Form (before you register for the course) and no more than 4 total units are allowed. Click here for the substitution form
- The courses selected to satisfy this requirement may NOT be used to satisfy other major, support, or general education requirements (no double counting of coursework).
- Consultation with advisor is recommended prior to selecting technical electives; bear in mind your selections may impact pursuit of post-baccalaureate studies and/or goals.
- If you are requesting a 300-level or above course for technical elective credit that is not on the approved list(see catalog year), you must submit a substitution form prior to taking the requested class. Click here to view list of approved technical electives
|Courses That Cannot Be Used for Technical Elective Credit|
For Industrial Engineering Majors(Catalog years 2022-26 to present):
IE Students are required to have a total of 13 technical elective units. Of the 13 total units, a minimum of 8 units must be from Group A (see curriculum sheet) and a maximum of 5 units from Group B. Click here to view the list of approved technical electives.
*IME 342 cannot be used by IE students as a technical elective
For Manufacturing Engineering Majors(Catalog years 2022-26 to present):
MFG students are required to have a total of 13 technical elective units. Of the 13 total units, a minimum of 8 units must be from Group A(see curriculum sheet) and a maximum of 5 units from Group B. Click here to view the approved list of technical electives.
If you have any questions, please contact your academic advisor.
Special Problems Form
Special Problems Form - Used for IME 200, 400, & 500. You may be able to earn 1-4 Units during your Cal Poly career.
1- Find an instructor who will supervise your project.
2- Complete the Special Problems Form.
- In the description of your project, the following must be included- deliverables, that include, work completed, and a report is due to your instructor.
3- Email the completed Special Problems Form to the IME office (email@example.com)
4- The IME office will route the form to your instructor and the department chair for signature approval via Adobe Sign
5- You will receive a permission number via Adobe Sign once the signature approval process is complete.